In the divorce process, when two parties are unable to resolve their dispute, one good option may be to work with a mediator. The role of the divorce mediation is to facilitate the resolution of the parties’ disputes by supervising the exchange of information and to help find common ground. A mediator will help to interpret concerns, define problems, and relay information between the parties.
Benefits of Divorce Mediation
Here are some significant benefits of working with a mediator:
- Avoid Going To Court – Mediation clients seldom go to court. At the end of the case the mediator or a lawyer will likely prepare the paperwork and file it with the court for a judge to review and make judgement.
- Faster Resolution – Litigated cases can take as little as six months and as long as several years. Mediations, however, occur on the participants’ timeline and can be expedited, often in as little as a couple of months.
- More Control For Clients – In divorce mediation, clients may decide the terms of their own agreement with the assistance of the mediator. This allows you to eliminate the possibility that a judge might order something that makes no sense to you.
- Reduced Cost – Traditional litigation can become very expensive. Additionally, clients are often required to pay the other side’s attorney fees as well. The cost of mediation generally add up to far less because the focus is on constructive resolution, rather than “destroying” the other side.
- Keep Things Private – Mediation is a private process which usually takes place in a mediator’s or lawyer’s office rather than in a public courtroom. In general, mediation clients are allowed to decide what goes into the paperwork, which allows you to avoid allegations and private personal information from ending up in the public record.
- Preserve Relationships – In family disputes, preservation of relationships is a key benefit of mediation. Mediation helps participants focus on effectively communicating with one another as opposed to attacking one another.
Contact An Experienced Cape Cod Divorce Lawyer For Divorce Mediation
If you have any further questions regarding divorce mediation in Massachusetts or if you’re looking for representation in your divorce or child custody battle, please don’t hesitate to contact Attorney Mike Saurez.
Photo Copyright: bialasiewicz / 123RF Stock Photo